There are some nice examples of wall coverings built of gabion (metal baskets filled up with stone) all over Europe, however, according to our best knowledge, so far our system has been developed to be the slimmest and on demand the most adjustable one.
The other structures basically consist of baskets that are fixed to the wall; as a result they take up a large space causing a 25-50 cm coverage-thickness and also an extra problem of solving the insulation of the walls. Due to the previously determined size of the prefabricated boxes, the gabion covering technology is only possible trouble-free on walls of particular width and length. Furthermore, these walls need to be of a regular rectangular shape.
In the light of the above mentioned facts, when developing our own wall covering technology, our primary attention was to create the slimmest possible structure; this way, we managed to reduce the thickness of the stone-coverage to 12.5 cm.
The insulation of the walls should also not mean a problem. The KOBOX wall cladding can be attached to any wall with a 15cm closed-cell insulation. Our product has the following characteristics:
- Due to the innovative retaining structure, the smaller roughness of the terrain to be covered does not mean a problem
- Not only perfectly vertical, but also sloped wall surfaces can be cladded with our gabion product
- It can be applied on both outdoor and interior walls (excellent interior design solutions can be created)
- Unique and special patterns can be worked out by varying the frost-proof stone filling
- The coverage can be decorated (e.g. lighting installable), at the gaps (i.e. windows, doors) aesthetic, pre-fabricated stainless steel borders of customized sizes are applied.
Today there is a trend of 'going green' in architecture and our cladding system perfectly matches the philosophy of this trend since:
- Environmentally friendly: clean technology (i.e. no rubbish on site), constructible at any time, the applied materials (stone and metal) are completely reusable.
- A natural material, the stone dominates its appearance
- The wall can problem-free be combined with climbing plants (due to the holes among the stones, the thickening branches do not cause damage in the structure), thereby a harmonic ‘living’ wall comes into existence.
- The cladding system is frost-proof (the filler aggregate is frost-proof), UV-proof, colourfast
- Cost-efficient; due to the galvanized (Aluminium-Zinc-platted) metal grids, the stainless fixing elements and the durable stone, it is an extremely timeless structure, for which no maintenance is needed
- Rapidly constructible, very aesthetic, innovative and novel.
The galvanization (Aluminium-Zinc-plating) is completed according to the DIN-EN-ISO 146
and the DIN-EN-ISO 12944
standards, following all the necessary inflections and welding, which ensures a lifespan of at least 55 years
Illustration 1.: Wall cladding structure